Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Workshop Ideas

In my classroom we do workshops twice a day. We do literature workshops when I do Guided Reading groups and we do math workshops. I have some go to workshops that I are easy to set up and that my students enjoy. Here are a few of my go to workshops:
Reading Workshops
  1. Word Wall Workshop-this a set workshop everyday. Students do a variety of activities with their word wall words of the week. Some examples are:stamping words, using letter cookie cutters and play-doh, putting words in ABC order.
  2. Computer-I try to vary the activity on the computer for students but their favorite is www.starfall.com and Bailey's Bookhouse.
  3. Letter-students will do some type of letter or letter sound activity. This will vary depending on what we are doing in our lessons. Some examples are: sorting words by beginning letter sounds, focusing on beginning, middle or end sounds, letter puzzles and word games.
  4. Listening-students listen to books on tape and respond to the stories they hear. After hearing the stories students may do a Thinking Map on characters, draw or write about favorite part or do a book review on the story.
Math
  1. Pattern blocks-students can use pattern blocks for so many things. They can explore them by creating different things, make patterns, sort and complete pattern block puzzles.
  2. Seasonal Number games-I create different number activities based on season and the skills we are learning. Some examples include: small plastic pumpkin with numbers on them-students have to put the correct number of candy corns to match the number, plastic hearts with numbers written on them-students have to count out that many candy hearts and add them together. This can be done with other items throughout year-snowmen, butterflies, eggs.
  3. Sorting Activities-Students practice sorting based on a set attribute. I use a variety of items such as-small seasonal erasers, plastic bugs, for Halloween we do skeletons, bugs and bats. Depending on the time of year the students will have to show their work on work mats or write out the rule they used to sort.
  4. Computer-Students in enjoy Millie's Mathhouse and Starfall math activities. These are great because I can set them on specific games that match what we are doing in our classroom.
These are just some examples of the workshops used in my classroom. I am always looking for new ideas! Please share if you have any good ideas!

11 comments:

  1. You gave me some good ideas of what I can be doing with Owen at home. I know he only just turned four, but he is ready for some of those activities. I think I may have him sort some words by beginning sounds this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire! Another great thing for at home is to get magnet letters for him. They can be used on the fridge or on cookie sheets (won't work on the nonstick ones). He can build his name, put the alphabet in order or build words. You can usually find both at the Dollar store! Also, writing letters with shaving cream on the table! This is a favorite of my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the health office I have a little "center" for the students who are waiting to be picked up by their parent/guardian. I have books, crayons and coloring books, some magnetic foam geometric shapes and a magnetic board. The shapes were cut from the leftovers of magnetic foam letters that a teacher threw away. I simply cut the leftovers into squares, rectangles, triangles, circles, etc, and they make designs on the board. I also have a whiteboard and marker that they love to write on. There are also three of the toys that are made of a block of wood, heavy gauge wire and the colorful wooden beads that the children slide along the twists and curls of the wire. Even the fourth and fifth grade students love the tactile experience of the wooden beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved the workshop/center structure since I believe that kids need a hands-on approach in order to develop concepts. Do you have parent volunteers to help you out during your workshop times?

    I would like to be able to implement some literacy centers for my kids to do during our reader's workshop time, but with the weird schedule my school has, it seems unlikely to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,
    I do not have parents that help. I have a wonderful assistant so that is the way I survive! We start out slow and practice routine for a long time in the beginning of the school year to get things where they work. Thankfully, by this time of the year they know expectations and things run smoothly.
    Faith,
    That is a great idea. It is nice of you to think of those type of things to have in the nurse's office. My kids love dry erase boards too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Center based activities are great. As a computer teacher now, I miss doing some of those activities like I had done when I taught 2nd grade. Your children must love your classroom. All of the centers sound so interactive and FUN! I posted something this week on my blog that you might be able to use. Dance Mat Typing. Check it out...you kids might like it during one of the center times. The key though is to click on the FULL SCREEN option under the activity. Less distracting and the kids love it!
    As for the shaving cream...it's also a great way to clean your tables and deodorize your classroom! Does get messy, but the kids love it even in 2nd grade!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LJ,
    These workshop activities are my favorite time too. The kids are always so engaged and don't even realize how much they are "working". I am going to check out your blog. I am always looking for new ideas!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to pass some of your ideas on to my friends that teach Kindergarten. I also try and get my second graders on the computer during small group time. They usually do something related to what we are learning at the time also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, have you tried storyline online? Here is the link. The books are read by actors. They can also listen to these books while having computer time, or something they can do at home.

    http://storylineonline.net/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy
    Sounds like you have a wonderful classroom setup.
    I am from South Carolina. Bluffton.
    What town in SC are you from?

    ReplyDelete