Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Word Wall Activities

My students work on high frequency or word wall words everyday. We usually have 4 to 6 words a week we focus on. The students work on these words during workshops. Here are a few of my favorite word wall activities:
  1. Stamp a word-Students use letter stamps and ink pads to stamp the words of the week.
  2. Play-doh words-Students use play-doh and cookie cutters to build the words of the week.
  3. Shaving Cream-Students write their words on the table using shaving cream.
  4. Watercolor Words-Students use watercolors to paint the words of the week.
  5. Chalk it Up-Students write their word wall words using sidewalk chalk. Since I have an assistant and a small patio and outdoor area we can do this easily during workshops but it could be done at recess!
  6. Magnetic Letters- Students use magnetic letters and metal cookie sheets to build word wall words.Caution the non stick pans won't work.
  7. Letter Tiles-Students use small letter tiles to build words.
  8. String a Word-Using letter beads and string students string their word wall words. This is a good fine motor skill as well.
  9. Rainbow words- Students write the word wall word in one color crayon and continue to trace over it in multiply colors to make a rainbow word.
  10. Bang! This is a whole group activity that my students love to play! Place all the word wall words on cards into a jar and the word Bang! on several cards. Students draw out a card and read the word. If they get it right they keep the word. If they miss it then it goes back in the jar. If the student draws out Bang! then they lose all their cards.
These are some of our favorie word wall activities in my room. I would love to hear some new and fresh ideas is you have any to share!

7 comments:

  1. I have observed some classes using small trays of sand or beans to spell out their words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the students ould use their bodies to spell out the words. One or more students could represent each letter. By the way, sounds as if you have a great variety. Tactile learners would really love your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Faith. These activities are a kinestetic kid'd dream. I'm glad to hear that there's more than copying the word 10 times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try the "bang" game with my students. I think my second graders would like that one. They always love using shaving cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue and Faith, thanks for the new ideas! I will have to try them both. I have found that with some many different learning styles in my classroom it is important to provide kinestetic learnings to get their interest! I also find that by mixing up the variety of things they do with the words it holds their interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy...are you sure we haven't taught together...LOL. I love your ideas. Being in your classroom must be so much fun for you and your students. Many of the activities you posted are ones that I use to do when teacher K and 2nd grade in the past. Do you have a Smartboard? If so there is a flash tool called Magnetic Letters that is great up on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LJ,
    Thanks! Sounds like you are like me in that you try to provide your students with activities that will hold their interest and apply to a variety of learning styles! I don't have a Smartboard but rumor is we are getting them next year so I will have to check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete