Monday, April 18, 2011

Favorite Authors of Kindergarteners

My students have a variety of authors that they enjoy reading. Here are some of their favorites:
  1. Eric Carle- He is known for vivid illustrations and books about animals. His books really hold the students attention and they enjoy them. For a list of his books go here: http://www.eric-carle.com/home.html
  2. Laura Numeroff-Her books are always fun to read and my students love the characters. You can find a list of her books on this site: http://www.lauranumeroff.com/
  3. Kevin Henkes-He is my favorite! I love his characters and his books always have a good lesson for students to learn. My kids enjoy the stories and want to read them over and over. You can find out more about Kevin here: http://www.kevinhenkes.com/
  4. Jan Brett-Her books are a little more detailed for kindergarten but my students enjoy hearing them. Her books have wonderfully illustrations and details on the border that usually help with making predictions.You can learn more about Jan Brett here: http://www.janbrett.com/
  5. Bill Martin- His books are great for beginning readers because of the repetitiveness in the story. My students can independently read his stories early which helps them gain confidence as readers.You can read more about Martin here: http://www.billmartinjr.com/bill_martin
  6. Pat Hutchins- She writes books that are easy to incorporate into lesson for students. Her books can also be used with a variety of subjects. To learn more about Pat go here: http://www.carolhurst.com/authors/hutchins.html
  7. Don Freeman-He is most famous for his Corduroy books. These are books that my students can relate to because most of them love their stuffed animals. They enjoy reading about Corduroy's adventures. Freeman's site is here: http://donfreeman.info/
  8. Doreen Cronin-She writes very entertaining books for students. They enjoy her stories and the characters are fun and interesting. Her most favorite book of my class is Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type. If you want to learn more about her books go here: http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/contributor.jsp?id=2887
  9. Robert Munsch-His books are wacky and silly but my students love them. Our favorite is Purple, Green and Yellow. His books will keep the kids laughing. His site is also great because you can click on the books and Robert Munsch himself will read the book aloud. It is a great site here: http://robertmunsch.com/books/#
  10. Dr. Seuss-Of course Dr. Seuss is one of our favorite authors my kids love to have me read the longer ones with the most tongue twisters to see if I can get through it. For fun games and activities with Dr. Seuss books go here: http://www.seussville.com/
These are our favorites but I am an avid children's book reader so please share your favorites!

11 comments:

  1. I was a Kindergarten teacher for six years before I became the Lead ESOL teacher. I one day plan on returning to the Kindergarten classroom. I have enjoyed your blog during this class and remembering all the fun I had teaching five and six years olds all day long. Best of luck to you. Have a great summer. Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to look up some of these books for my second graders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already named my favorite, Jan Brett. I was able to see her in person once, and she autographed a book for me and my mother. (My mother reads to elementary school children in the parochial school). I also like Robert Munch, and I have not heard of Kevin Henkes, but I will look him up since he is your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jade here. im a 4th grader and i love Roald Dahl.he made the BFG and a book im reading now THE WITCHES. it is a littel complex but maybe you can get the book and read it to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are some books I can add to my wiki for kindergarten teachers. Thanks, my grandson will be entering kindergarten in the fall. I remember the first time my kids read to me-it brought tears to my eyes. I love reading and now will be able to devote more time to it. You have made a great blog for your peers, you should keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will check out some of those authors on our weekly trips to the library. I had not heard of a few of those. On a side note, any recommendations for good books to read with my four-year-old about stranger danger?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire,
    I hope your kids will enjoy some of them. I know one good one is The Berenstain Bears Learn about Stangers. It is a good one and would be suitable for a four year old! Good luck and I hope that helps.
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and comments. I have enjoyed my blog and it has really helped me keep up with the activities my students enjoy most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You hit a home run with the favorite book list. My Jenneigh is in first grade and so she is a bit beyond these (at least she thinks so!), but Alessa is 4 and I will pick out the ones we don’t have and stash for those special surprise gifts.
    The Berenstain Bears have been so helpful with subtle applications to sharing, clean rooms, gimme's, strangers, etc. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again...we share too much in common. Most of those are some of my favorite authors and illustrators. When I use to teach 2nd grade my student and got seriously hooked into Jon Scieszka - http://www.jsworldwide.com/
    My student and I loved reading The Time Warp Trio. This author has a warped sense of humor, but he has a way of tying science and history into all of his books. One of my favorites.

    It's been great chatting with you and sharing ideas. Thanks for all that you have shared with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue,
    Does Jenneigh like Junie B. Jones? I know that is also a favorite read aloud for my students and our first graders enjoy her too!
    LJ,
    Great minds think alike! I will have to check out the Jon Scieszka site.I am not familiar with him. Thanks for the info. Thanks for exchanging ideas with me and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading a lot of the kindergarten book titles with my daughter years ago.

    ReplyDelete